Friday, June 17, 2011

Low Carb Homemade Pasta




This recipe was a special request from an anonymous follower. It gave me the perfect opportunity to play with a pasta machine I bought last year, but has been collecting dust in my cupboard. It was a lot of fun. You don't need one for making pasta, but it sure does make it easier. I think I only paid $40 for the one I have. I made fettuccine, pictured above. This pasta has the taste and texture of a wheat pasta, very flavorful! You could use these in an Asian stir-fry, top with spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, etc... I used my Baking Mix and some added ground wheat germ. 

This recipe makes about 1 pound of pasta or 6-8 servings, with only 6.75-9 carbs per serving. Traditional white pasta has around 40 carbs per serving!! I hope you enjoy this delicious pasta.



Ingredients:
  • 1-3/4 cups Low Carb Flour Mix
  • 1/4 cup ground wheat germ
  • 1 tsp guar gum (optional)
  • 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp light olive oil   
  • 3-4 tbls cold water 

In a large mixing bowl, wisk the egg, egg yolks, oil and 3 tbls of the cold water until smooth. Combine the Baking Mix, ground wheat germ, salt and guar gum. Stir into the egg and water mixture until smooth, adding the last tbls of water if necessary to make a smooth dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface (I used the Baking Mix) and knead until smooth about 5-8 minutes. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 smaller pieces and roll out each one as thin as you can get it, or run it through a pasta machine until you get it to the thinnest setting. Let the dough dry for about 30 minutes or so and cut with your pasta machine or with a pizza roller into desired sized strips. If you aren't cooking it right away you can let it dry from a pasta rack or lay out on a cooling rack overnight. You should use the pasta within a few days of making. It can also be frozen in an airtight bag after drying for an hour, and will keep for 6-8 months. To cook fresh pasta, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Dried pasta will take a few minutes longer. Top as you wish and enjoy!







Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. Pam, you are amazing. I was just reading your baking mix recipe. You do everything by scratch. I am exhausted thinking about it. I know your foods are delicious. Jeni brags on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda, making your own almond meal and oat flour is the cheapest way. They can be very expensive or impossible to find in the store. You can find the Dreamfields pasta in Food Lion though. I had a follower request a recipe using my Baking Mix. It turned out pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought of it, but you did it! home made low carb pasta! I haven't had pasta for 9 months since starting low carb. This will be a treat to eat pasta again, looking forward to trying this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is in your baking mix?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can the wheat germ be left out of the recipe? What is its function? I also don't want to use the guar gum. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can leave the wheat germ out if you like, it's just for added fiber. The guar gum helps hold it together, I have never made the pasta without it so I'm not sure if it will change the texture. Let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  6. Not sure if the post took so trying again. We made lasagna with the recipe and left out the guar gum. It was great. Friends who are not low carb eaters kept asking for more. I can now eat lasagna with a lot less carbs than when I used whole wheat noodles. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that the recipe works without the guar gum and thrilled that everyone like it!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!