Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Low Carb Flour Mix



*Updated carb count below.*
I had an anonymous reader question my carb count for almond flour. That got me doing some research. I found many different conflicting numbers online. I chose to go with the highest carb count I found to be on the safe side. Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions.
I am also working on a gluten-free version of my low carb flour mix since I can no longer eat gluten. Bummer!
Here is the link to my Low-Carb Gluten-Free Flour Mix. Let me know how this mix works in your recipes.

*Original Post*

I have been working on this mix for a while. I finally have a pretty good combination of flours and meal that works great in my low carb baked goods. I use Carbalose flour all of the time, but many people don't have it on hand as I do. I wanted to put together a baking mix that is made from products you can find in most grocery stores on a regular basis.




Let's start with almond meal. It can be found at most health food stores and natural grocery stores. If you can't find it, not a problem. I make my own using nothing more than natural unsalted almonds and my blender. You want to add only about 1/4 cup of the almonds at a time and pulse them on a grind setting for 10-15 second intervals. Stir the almonds in between pulses, and continue until very fine. If you grind too long the meal will start to clump together due to the high fat content, not good. Store your almond meal in a tightly sealed container. Simple!
Next we have oat flour. Again, it can be found in most health food and natural grocery stores. I also make my own oat flour by grinding old fashioned or steel oats in my blender until very fine. You can grind a few cups at a time and not worry about clumping with this flour.
Third I use unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat flour in small quantities as not to add too many carbs.
Lastly, I add vital wheat gluten. I have seen this product in most of the grocery stores I frequently visit, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. It is located with the specialty flours.
You can add other flours or meals if you like. I have also used flax meal and wheat germ, just grind them to a fine powder and add them to your mix. If you have it, Carbalose flour works wonderfully in this mix. It helps to brings the carb count down a little.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups almond meal (24 carbs)
  • 1 cup oat flour (66 carbs)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (46 carbs)
  • 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (8 carbs)
  • 1 cup Carbalose (19 carbs) (optional but takes off 3.4 carbs per cup if used)
Makes 5 cups of baking mix or 4 cups if you don't add the Carbalose.
    Net carbs without Carbalose flour: 36 per cup of mix.
    Net carbs with Carbalose : 32.6 carbs per cup of mix, that's only about 1/3 of the carbs found in white and whole wheat flours, which have between 21-23 per 1/4 cup.

    I would love to hear your feedback, let me know how this mix works for you. Go get creative!





    Print Friendly and PDF

    15 comments:

    1. You are so smart Sista!!! ~jeni :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. What a godsend this baking mix is! The store products are so expensive that I don't even bother. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have made such a difference in my life already!

      Regards, Chi

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you I love this baking mix! It works in many applications. Let me know how it works for you.
      Pam

      ReplyDelete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I know some people are afraid to use soy flour but I find if I use it in low carb recipes that call for white flour, it saves on carbs and works really well for us. We have been using for a long time now and if you use it as a 1/4 to 1/2 cup in recipes you can't really taste it. Love adding flaxseed meal too. The golden kind.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Can I use Xanthax Gum as a substitute for the VWG?

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks for this. I have been using the Eloff mix which is good, but I need some variety, too. I had not thought of grinding rolled oats to get oat flour. Very smart. Would you think that soy flour would be a good substitute for the Carbalose? I can't afford that stuff!

      Thanks again!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Do you think you could substitute the 1/2 cup all purpose for coconut flour or chickpea flour?

      ReplyDelete
    9. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thank you everyone for your questions and comments. I found out about 6 months ago that I have a gluten sensitivity and have had to completely change my diet, hence the reason for my absence. Coconut flour is a wonderful substitute in baking it is low carb and delicious! Soy and chick pea are also good substitutes but I am not a fan of the flavor. As far as xanthan gum goes, I use it and guar gum often, just only use 1/2 tsp or so per cup of flour and omit the VWG. Too much and your baked goods will be gummy and sometimes a little grainy. I found that the secret to really good bread is to use psyllium fiber/powder and ground flax/chia seeds in place of the gums. usually add 2 tbls of each in my bread reicipes. It gives bread dough the spring and elasticity that gluten gives wheat bread. Try it you will love it! I only use guar and xanthan in my cakes and pancakes now. I also use Hi-Maize resistant corn starch as well. It is low carb and adds healthy fiber. Keep the questions and comments coming :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. I clicked on your link for Netrition and wondered if the vital wheat gluten is what they call Vital Wheat Gluten Flour? Or is it different?

      ReplyDelete
    12. I'm so excited to try this! I'll be mixing up a double batch of this tomorrow so I always have some ready for new recipes. Can't wait to make the biscotti - the pasta - the pizza and even the bread! Thank you so much for this!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Hi Living on Less Money. I am pretty sure that vital wheat gluten and VWG flour are the same thing.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Can i sub soy for white flour?

      ReplyDelete
    15. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!